Friday, October 4, 2013

So why not post right now.

Things I like that I'm doing:


  • Three-acts Dy/Dan style which I am sure you know about if you are reading a math education blog.
  • Keeping grades fresh and updated.
    • I hate grades but they make me keep them so I might as well keep them updated on the hour every hour
  • Only yelled at my student once.
    • I'm not sure why yelling makes me feel better, its an odd relationship I have with teaching. I don't like it some days. Some days I love it. I like to think I spend more time on the like to love side rather then the dislike side, but each year is it's own adventure. I don't think I'm alone in this description.
    • They deserved it.
  • Weekly calendar is staying updated.
    • I plan only as far as the hour that is happening. Sometime my colleagues don't work well with that. Often time my favorite copy lady doesn't like that. But it is who I am. I tell me students at the beginning of the year to use their planner but I am such a hypocrite when it comes to planning.
  • Alternative Assessments
    • Had a colleague that was pushin' portfolios but I wasn't buying it. His seed grew into "Alternative Assessments" which take the place of in class tests. We've done some 'sequels' off the 3 acts. We had a sketch-up assignment where students build a 3-d model of something. I don't know if they are hitting everyone but I am happy if one student enjoys it. 
Future Matt reading back: keep these things going.

No comments:

Post a Comment